Thursday, December 17, 2009

Initial contact with UCSF

After crying it all out, I decided to fight! I researched for hours online about this defect and gathered as much information as possible. I read a story of a baby "Abram Friend" who was born in Cincinnati who also had LCDH and what steps the surgeons took to save him. I was impressed. I also researched fetal surgery and decided to make an appointment at UCSF to pursue it. I called UCSF and spoke to the nurse about my situation. She took my information and said that I was too far along to have the fetal surgery since I was going to be 28 weeks during Christmas week and the surgeon was out for the holidays until Jan. 4th. Also, to have the fetal surgery, you had to have an Amniocentesis w/results prior to surgery which I hadn't had. I was very sad and again feeling all hope is against me.

Then I remembered that my due date from Stanford was quite a bit earlier than the other doctors' had for me. So I called UCSF again and this time got another nurse. This nurse was AWESOME! She had me get all my records from this pregnancy faxed over and appeared to be looking into my case further to see if there is anything they can do. In the meantime, I decided to go ahead with an Amnio just in case this nurse was able to work something out for me. The nurse also set me up to meet with the surgical team at UCSF the following week (day before Christmas Eve). I was impressed how quickly she was able to get things done. It was nice to feel like someone is working for you and not against you. So now I have an appointment for an amnio Dec 22nd and an appointment at UCSF Dec 23rd. No time to think about Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment